The remainder of the document compiled by Florence Tuttle Foy:
Captain Thomas Munson Capt. Munson was born in 1612 in Suffolk, England, and died 7 May,1685. While in Hartford he was a militia member in the Pequot Wars and received land in recognition of that service. In 1639 he signed the original agreement, of all the free planters of New Haven. He was, with four others, appointed commissioner to meet five men from Branford to establish the boundaries between the two towns. He was a deputy to the General Court and a selectman. Known early as Lieutenant Munson, then as Ensign Munson and later as Captain Munson, he was continually involved in the watch and protection of New Haven, including leading battalions in King Phillips War. In 1675 he was a lieutenant commander in the New Haven Troops, and was ordered by the council at Hartford to go to Norwottock and up the river to defend the plantations against Indians.
David Atwater - He came to America in 1637 with Governor Eaton. Died 1692. He was the first of the New Haven Colony to be sworn a Freeman of the United Colony. He was one of the original settlers of New Haven. His lot was in the neck between Mill and Quinnipiack Rivers, at the north wide of what became the City of New Haven. He had 100 acres now known as Cedar Hill. The eldest male in each succeeding generation was born there. The town lot was 120 to 128 College Street north of Elm. His descendants lived there for more than 200 years. The farm was a depot where droves of horses and mules and cattle were placed before shipping to the West India Trade. They were wholly or partly owned by members of the Atwater family. An elm tree that he planted still stands and is 15 feet in diameter. The circle of branches at the top measures 300 feet, the height 90 feet. It was old when the Revolutionary War started.
Captain Nathaniel Turner - He arrived in Massachusettes with the Winthrop fleet in 1630. After his home was burned in Lynn, he became one of the first settlers of New Haven. In 1644 he was commander of the military company and captain of the band. He lived in the half mile square alongside Gov. Eaton. He perished in the Phantom Ship. On Sep. 1, 1640 Nathaniel was appointed Captain of all martial affairs of the New Haven Colony. He was on the ill-fated "Lamberton's Phantom Ship" which sailed from New Haven on a voyage to Europe and was lost with all on board in Jan. 1646.
|Vision of the Phantom Ship by Jesse Talbot|
Captain Thomas Yale and Mary Turner Yale - Born in England about 1616 and came to America in 1637 with Gov. Eaton and others. He married Mary Turner, daughter of Capt. Turner of New Haven, in 1645. Mary's family was of Lynn, Massachusetts in 1630 and moved to New Haven in 1638. Thomas Yale was a merchant in 1638 with an estate of 300 pounds. He purchased lands in that part of town which is now North Haven. He was one of the principal men in the colony, a signer of the Plantation Covenant, and filled with honor many offices of trust, with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his friends and fellow colonists. He left an estate of 470 pounds, dying March 27, 1683, age 67 years. Mary died October 15, 1704.
Captain Joseph Ives and Mary Yale Ives - Mary was the daughter of Thomas Yale and Mary Turner. She married Joseph. Ives of North Haven. At their house the people met for public worship on the Sabbath until they became able to build a meeting house. Mr. Ives was captain of the train-band in North Haven. Joseph was the son of William and Hannah Ives. "Attached to the side of a brick building at the intersection of George and College Streets, easily missed by the casual visitor, is a tablet marking the spot where in prayer and meditation was founded the religious commonwealth destined to be known as New Haven Colony. Among the archives of New Haven one may still examine the evidence of William Ive's participation in the founding of the colony and of his residence there with his wife Hannah, and the births of their children, and their growth to maturity. Here he spent the ten years allotted him in the New World, and here his body was interred (Families)." William and Hannah must have been married at the beginning of the settlement because the census of 1639 indicates there were then two members in the family. William's name appears on the church roll in 1641 as number 69.
The painting by Jessie Talbot 1806-1879 found at American Gallery.
Families of Ancient New Haven, Connecticut. N2b, Vol. 4, page 910)